BCO1214 MACROECONOMICS Midterm Assignment Task brief & rubrics
• • •
Submission: Week 4 – Via Moodle (Turnitin). Submission will be accepted all Week 4: From the 16th until the 23rd of August at 23:59hrs (Barcelona’s time). Formalities:
• Wordcount: 1000 words
• You may want to include images/graphics etc. (for example from their website) to make your reasoning and argumention more visual and explicative
• Font: Arial. Size: 12,5pts. Line spacing: 1,5. Text align: Justified.
• Appendices and References, do not count towards the final wordcount but are strongly recommended (referencing websites, articles, books etc.)
• The in-text References and the Bibliography have to be in Harvard’s citation style
Choose ONE of the countries below to write a report
Weight: This task is worth 40% of your overall grade for this subject.
Part of the session of Week 4 will be dedicated as a tutoring session: you will be able to ask the professor for advice on your project. Assignment Launch: Week 1.
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TOPICS
The economic crisis of 2008-09 and its effects
Built on the acquired theoretical and practical macroeconomic knowledge of the first half of the semester you are required to write a report describing the effects of the economic crisis started in 2008 in one of the following countries:
• United States
• United Kingdom
The report should include the following sections:
• Cover Page: Title, Course, Name of Student
• Table of Contents
• Section 1. (30%) Provide general information about the situation of the country using the main macroeconomic indicators (GDP growth, unemployment rate, inflation, current account balance…) before and after the crisis (for the time period of 2007 to 2017) and analyze the effects the crisis based on the data you collect from reliable sources
o This section must include a written explanation and the presentation of the data should be done using charts and graphs.
• Section 2. (40%) During the 2008 crisis, each of these countries applied a different strategy to prevent a fall of aggregate demand. Indicate these policies adopted by the
country of your choice and explain if these policies were efficient
• Section 3. (30%) Provide actual data of the main macroeconomic variables about the current situation of the country (for the time period of 2017 to 2019 or from 2019) and analyze the future challenges of the country.
• Data: Eurostat https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/home
• Information: European Commission https://ec.europa.eu/info/index_en
• Data: www.worldbank.org or national data (national statistical institute / Central Bank)
Outcomes: This task assesses the following learning outcomes:
• understand the forces determining macroeconomic variables such as national output, inflation, and unemployment.
• apply macroeconomic terminology and assess macroeconomic policy suggestions.
• evaluate real life situations with a practical application of the acquired tools and knowledge.
Marginal fail 60-69
Knowledge and Identification of the main Issues
Identifies and demonstrates a sophisticated understanding of the main issues / problems in the case study
Identifies and demonstrates an accomplished understanding of most of the issues/problems.
Identifies and demonstrates acceptable understanding of some of the issues/problems in the case study
Does not identify or demonstrate an acceptable understanding of the issues/problems in the case study
Student applies fully relevant knowledge to the situation provided
Student applies mostly relevant knowledge to the situation provided
Student applies some relevant knowledge to the situation provided. Some minor misunderstandings may be evident.
Student applies little relevant knowledge to the situation provided. Misunderstandings are evident.
Student assembles a coherent response to the question, providing a range of support and justification that leads to a well-reasoned conclusion
Student assembles a good response to the question, providing support and justification that lead to a well- reasoned conclusion
Student assembles a fair response to the question, providing some support and justification that lead to a well- reasoned conclusion. Minor misunderstandings may be evident
Student’s response to the question lacks coherence. Limited support and justification are provided that may or may not be well linked to the conclusion
Student communicates ideas extremely clearly and concisely. Compliance with the guidelines on font, size, line spacing and text align will also be taken into account.
Student communicates ideas clearly and concisely. Compliance with the guidelines on font, size, line spacing and text align will also be taken into account.
Student communicates ideas fairly clearly and concisely. Compliance with the guidelines on font, size, line spacing and text align will also be taken into account.
Student attempts to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, with some problems. Student does not follow the guidelines on font, size, line spacing and text align.