Discussion: “Description of Life at Court of Louis XIV”
Available until Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:59 PM EDT
Answer one of the questions below by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, September 2. Respond to a fellow student’s post by 11:59 PM on Sunday, September 6. Full instructions for discussion are included at the end.
Be sure to identify which question you are answering in your subject head.
1. According to the document, what were some of the ways in which Louis XIV made the nobility feel special?
2. What evidence is there in the document that Louis XIV used life at court as an opportunity to monitor and control the behavior of the nobility?
3. Saint-Simon noted that life at court “aroused jealousy” among the members of the nobility. Why do you think that was the case? In other words, what about the culture of life at court created competition and jealously?
4. Based on the document, what do you think Saint-Simon thought of Louis XIV? Did he like or admire him? Why or why not?
5. What do you think of the court of Louis XIV? Would you want to be a nobleman or noblewoman at court? Why or why not?