You may already have been told on more than one occasion that employers are looking for people who have good communication skills. What does this mean, exactly? When signing up for this class, what did you think was meant by the communication piece? Do you consider yourself a good communicator?
Students often tell me they’ve given “lots of presentations,” so they feel comfortable communicating. Really? What, exactly, were you communicating? Who were you communicating to? What was the objective of your communication? Was your communication effective?
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce you to common assumptions we make when communicating with each other. Keep in mind that there is both explicit (obvious) and implicit (not obvious) components to communicating. I challenge you to identify these different components within this assignment.
Complete the entire assignment before posting your initial response in the Discussion forum.
Please watch the ~10 minute TED Talk video below, and address the following while watching:
1. Before you begin, explain whether or not the simple fact of watching a TED Talk imparts a bias on your perception of the information you are going to hear.
2. Monitor your reaction to the speaker throughout the presentation. Make sure to pay attention to your reaction before the presentation begins (when the speaker appears) as well as during the presentation. Describe your reactions and explain why you reacted in this manner. You may want/need to watch the video more than once.
3. Finally, how do you interpret the purpose and effectiveness of this presentation? Explain, keeping in mind the purpose of this assignment.
The following link will take you to the Gender Action Portal (GAP), which is “a collection of research evaluating the impact of specific policies, strategies, and organizational practices to advance gender equity.” Read the Introduction (and other components if you like). Then, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Related GAP Studies. I suggest viewing the STEM or Bias categories. Choose one additional topic to read about.
1. Comment on one fact you read from the website that surprised you. Alternatively, you may comment on one fact you read that you may have experienced personally.
2. While focus is often placed on written or spoken communication skills, it is important to understand the unintentional means by which communication occurs and the significant ramifications that can result. Why do you think I have chosen this website for you to examine as part of this assignment? In other words, what do the articles on this website have to do with communication?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.