In critical approaches of IR, researchers have sought to contextualise their own writing, particularly when they want to illustrate their research methodology and how certain circumstances and social contexts have shaped their ideas.
The main question to guide your assignment is: do personal “stories” and narratives (social context, perspectives, childhood, personal background, education, socio-economic background, interactions with individuals, etc.) have an impact on how one views the world, why or why not?
Students are required to:
• Write about their personal perspectives on global issues, using personal narratives (does your personal “story” or a specific event in your life have an impact on how your “see” the world?);
• Select an IR thinker (see list below; if you have an IR thinker not listed, please see me or your TA for approval) and understand their personal “story”;
• Select and read a specific piece/section of academic work (at least 10 pages) written by the selected IR thinker;
• Write about the IR thinker’s personal narrative and whether it may have influenced a specific idea/theory they developed or espoused; and
• Students are encouraged to write about themselves and the IR thinker in a comparative manner, where possible
Length: 500-1,250 words; use references as required
Some IR Thinkers
E. H. Carr
Post-Structuralism, Critical Approaches
R. B. J. Walker
James Der Derian
Roxanne Doty Marxist, Critical Theory
Andre Gunder Frank
Jean Bethke Elshtain
J. Ann Tickner
Gurminder Bhambra Historical Sociology
You may want to consult: Martin Griffiths, Fifty Key Thinkers in International Relations (London: Routledge, 2007), E-book (Available online; York University library)
For further reading:
• Stephen Gill, Power and Resistance in the New World Order (New York: Palgrave, 2008), Chapter 1: “Personal, Political and Intellectual Influences”, pp. 1-10.
• Ilan Kapoor, ‘Hyper-self-reﬂexive Development? Spivak on Representing the Third World ‘Other’,’ Third World Quarterly, 25, 4, 2004.
• Morgan Brigg and Roland Bleiker, “Autoethnographic International Relations: Exploring the Self as a Source of Knowledge”, Review of International Studies, 36, 3, 2010.
• Naeem Inayatullah and Elizabeth Dauphinee, Narrative Global Politics: Theory, History and the Personal in International Relations, 2016
• Theory Talks [http://www.theory-talks.org]
AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL REFLEXIVITY: THE SELF AND IR THINKERS – ESSAY EVALUATION
Student Name: ___________________________________________________________
Understanding of Assignment
– Did you select an IR thinker and discuss their personal story
– Did you provide your own personal story/narrative
– Main question: do personal narratives have an impact on how one views the world, why or why not?
– Did you answer the main question: do personal narratives have an impact on how one views the world, why or why not?
– Did you provide the personal story of the IR thinker and if their personal story had an influence on their thinking/writing
– Did you provide your own personal story/narrative – does that influence how you look at the world
– Did you attempt to compare the experience of the self (you) and the IR thinker, to answer the main question
– Did you include a discussion of at least one piece/section of academic work by the IR thinker (at least 10 pages)
– Did you consult other academic sources
– Is the essay free from grammatical errors, typos and spelling mistakes?
– Are the sentences well-structured and varied?
– Is paragraphing logical?
– Is the paper easy to read?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.