The Job Search, Résumés, and Cover Letters©
Activity 15.5 | Choosing a Career Path
Many people know amazingly little about the work done in various occupations and the training requirements. The
website maintained by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, an agency within the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), can be an
excellent career exploration tool. One resource is their online Occupational Outlook Handbook, which can help you learn
all about the occupations you find interesting. You can read about the nature of the work, education and training
requirements, advancement opportunities, employment, salary, and ten-year job outlook for hundreds of occupations.
The Handbook also lists related occupations and sources of additional information.
For this assignment, you will use the online Occupational Outlook Handbook to learn more about an occupation,
research salary information, and present your findings in an Informational Memo Report to me (your instructor).
1. You need to get your information from the online Occupational Outlook Handbook
accessible from the following web address: http://www.bls.gov/OCO
2. Read about occupations you find interesting.
3. Find the description of a position for which you could apply either now or at sometime
within the next 2-4 years.
4. Use any word processing or text editing software to compose a brief summary of your
research of your chosen occupation.
5. Format your summary as an informational Memo Report to me. Your Memo Report must
include the following topics:
a. Job description
b. Typical duties
c. Typical work environment (work setting, schedule, etc.)
d. Entry-level qualifications (education, certification, skills, etc.)
e. 2015 median annual wages
f. Job outlook (expected growth or decline). INCLUDE at least TWO of the FACTORS
affecting the employment change.
g. Other recommended resources (name, description, and web address of at least
two other sources of information)
6. Visit the CareerOnestop.com website at http://www.careeronestop.org/ and use their
Salary Finder to find the salary for the same chosen occupation/position.
Use your current geographic area or the location where you would like to work
7. Repeat the process using the Salary.com website at http://www.salary.com
8. Add a section for Current Reported Salary to your informational Memo Report and
compose a brief summary of the information you learned in steps 6 and 7.
Page 2 of 2
9. Your Memo Report must demonstrate the following:
a. Correct margins and document structure for a Memo Report, as described in the text.
b. Correct headings for a Memo Report, as described in the text
c. Appropriate strategy and organizational plan for an informational report, as described in
d. Contain information on each of the 8 topics listed in steps 5 and 8.
10.Review and proof your summary; check your spelling and grammar.
11. Save your report. Make sure your file is compatible with Microsoft® Word (PC version) or saved as
an Adobe .pdf file
1. Display the assignment’s page in Canvas.
Hint: Click MODULES » Click the assignment’s title
2. Click the button in the top-right part of the window
3. Upload the file containing your responses by:
Step 1: Click the Browse button
Step 2: Use the File Upload dialog box to locate and upload your file.
Step 3: Click in the box to mark agreement with the following:
This assignment submission is my own, original work
Step 4: Click
Submit the following types of files ONLY:
Adobe pdf file
Microsoft® Word compatible (PC version).
For more information on Career Path Memo Report read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_management