Communications and Media Essays | Online Homework Help
Instructions: For this assignment, you will select a scholarly communication article from an academic research journal published within the last five years. The article you select must be one in which the author(s) conducted their very own research study. You cannot select an article in which the author is merely reviewing the literature or providing their opinion only, as it relates to a communication theory or concept. In a 4-6 page paper, you will thoroughly summarize the most important sections of the article, making sure to include the following (in this order):
1. Give a brief introduction to the study (no more than a paragraph) and label this section “Introduction”.
2. Clearly state and explain the hypothesis/hypotheses or research question(s) that drive the authors study. If there are several, you must list and explain them all. Be sure to also briefly identify and explain the theory/construct they are using in the study, if one is identified. Label this section “Hypotheses” or “Research Questions”.
3. Describe how the author conducted their research. That is, what was the design of the study used to test the hypothesis/hypotheses or research question(s)? Make sure to include the participant demographics here, and to mention how participants were recruited/data was gathered. Label this section “Methods”.
4. What results or findings does the author claim as it relates to the hypothesis/hypotheses or research question(s)? In other words, what were their findings? Label this section “Results”. You do not need to include graphs/charts in this section.
5. According to the author, what are the implications and/or relevance of the findings? Why do these findings matter in the grand scheme of things? In addition, what are the limitations or weaknesses of the research conducted, as identified by the author(s)? Label this section “Implications and Limitations”.
6. Write a discussion section (this is the only part of the paper where you can speak from your own perspective/opinion), label it “Discussion” and critique the study; in other words, what did YOU think of the study? Some questions you may address here include: (1) is there anything the researchers could have done differently/more effectively in terms of methods? Explain what you would have done differently; if not, why was their method choice appropriate? (2) Does their research add valuable knowledge to the field of communication studies? If so, why is their study so valuable? (3) Could this study be expanded? If so, what types of hypotheses or research questions would you propose be addressed? These are just some questions to guide your critique; they are not exhaustive. This section of the paper should be no more than a few paragraphs.
7. Somewhere in the paper, you must include at least two direct quotes from the article (please do not exceed 50 words for the quote, and do not include more than three direct quotes); please see your notes on APA for formatting.
8. Include a reference page that adheres to APA format. Resources for APA formatting will be made available on Blackboard.
9. Submit your paper via Blackboard by 11:59pm on the day it is due.
APA (including cover page). This must be typed in 12-point, Times New Roman font, with 1-inch margins. Your in-text citations and reference page should also be in APA format. An APA PowerPoint has been provided for you on Blackboard, along with a sample paper for help with this.
Your paper will be graded on spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Your paper will also be graded on content; how well you answered the above questions, and how clearly and coherently the paper is organized.
List of Communication Research Journals (not exhaustive):
Human Communication Research
Communication Research Reports
Howard Journal of Communications
Journal of Applied Communication Research
Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media
Journal of Communication
Journal of Communication and Religion
Journal of International & Intercultural Communication
Philosophy and Rhetoric
Visual Communication Quarterly
Western Journal of Communication
Women’s Studies in Communication
Article Review Assignment #2 Rubric
Assignment Value: 70 points
Brief introduction included; clear and concise
Hypothesis/hypotheses or research question(s) clearly stated and explained
Clear description of research methods used to test hypothesis/hypotheses or research question(s), including participant demographics (if participants were utilized)
Clear explanation of results/findings
Explanation of implications or relevance of findings, in addition to weaknesses/limitations of the study as identified by the author(s)
Discussion section included; thoughtful and thorough reflection of article’s significance and any critiques of study (methods, how to expand the study, etc.)
Paper is well-written, meaning ideas are expressed clearly and coherently, and text is free of spelling and grammatical errors
Paper adheres to APA format and includes a reference page
Paper includes at least 2 direct quotes
Each section of the paper is labeled (introduction, hypotheses, methods…)
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Get free features with our reliable essay writing service
We offer you a free title page tailored according to the specifics of your particular style.
Include your preferred formatting style when you order from us to accompany your paper.
Get a list of references to go with your ordered paper.
24/7 support assistance
Reach out to our support agents anytime for free assistance.
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies