1.Explain several of the conventional aspects that have assisted the domestic violence revolution? (Make sure to discuss the support for the VAWA). (1B) What are the challenges associated with the criminal justice’s approach to handling domestic violence? (Be specific). (1C) What does the following statement mean to YOU >>>> Family violence is as American as apple pie!
2. How have media representations of male-on-female violence changed over time? (Make sure to highlight male authority vs. female subordination). (2B) What are some of the issues that have resulted from domestic violence specialized responses? (Be specific).
3. What was so significant about the ‘Code of Hammurabi’ as it related to family violence? Do some independent research and discuss the significance of the Minneapolis DV Experiment in the early 1980s. (Be specific).
4. Explain how “coordinated community responses” are used to address fragmented services available to victims of domestic violence. (shelters, legal assistance, law enforcement, etc.). (4B) Explain the differences between which incidents are covered under “domestic violence” and “intimate partner violence” statutes. (Be specific). (4C) How can the CTS2 be improved to address its current criticisms?
5. Discuss how gender-neutral approaches to intimate partner violence explain the seemingly disparate levels of IPV between males and females. (Under-reporting to the police, etc.)
6. How has the research on same-sex couples refuted feminist perspectives of domestic violence? (Be specific). (6B) Discuss the medical and mental health impact of domestic violence on victims. (psychological and quality of life effects).
7. Explain how stalking qualifies as domestic violence despite not always resulting in physical assaults. (7B) How can religious groups provide support for victims? What is the role of clergy and religious organizations? (Be specific).
8. Explain how criminal justice interventions can respond (differently) to each typology described by Johnson (2007). (8B) List and briefly describe the three types of IPV (as discussed in class). (8C) If you believe that violent behavior is biological and organic and can be explained by genetics, is it appropriate to sanction/punish men that batter? How would you ‘contain’ their violent behavior? (Be specific and support your answer).
9.Explain how coercive control and violence are distinct from one another. (Be specific and give examples). (9B) How can batterer typologies be used in DV interventions? (Make sure you include discussion of the different typologies and how the criminal justice system can address/respond to each differently.)
10. If DV is an intergenerational problem, how can it be prevented and/or treated? (Be specific). (10B) Discuss “negative emotionality” and how high scores on this measure is related to increases in DV. (10C) Briefly explain the ‘metaphor of a funnel” to demonstrate the problems associated with measuring crimes and other deviant behaviors.
Write your name on your paper.
Single space only
Answer five (5) of the essay questions. You must answer the following questions: 1, 6 and 10 + any two of your choosing.
Write out each question before answering the question. Highlight the answer to distinguish it from the question
Ex: 2. How have media representations of male-on-female violence changed over time? Write out your answer. Discuss how gender-neutral approaches to intimate partner violence explain the seemingly disparate levels of IPV between males and females. Write out your answer.
You do not need to cite your answers.