Based on your understanding of the material presented throughout the course and the textbook, write a critique of the assigned article (Mears, Yaffe, & Harris, 2009) in the form of a short essay. Your answers should be clear and concise, demonstrating your ability to think critically about this piece of research. Respond to each question individually in paragraph form using complete sentences and in adherence of APA style guidelines. Make sure to cite/reference both the article and the textbook. Be sure to distinguish between your original ideas and ideas you are borrowing from the text.
1. Describe the type of research used in this study. Include whether it is qualitative, quantitative, or mixed-methods. Is it exploratory, descriptive, or explanatory? Be sure to justify your answers.
2. As per the textbook definition of “research problem”, what was the research problem the research addressed? In your opinion, was the research problem clearly defined?
3. What was the research question and hypothesis? Make sure to label the question and hypothesis. (hint: search carefully!)
4. Describe the methodology used. Is this a group research design, case-level research, or something else? Be sure to include the research design notation with an explanation and comment on whether randomization was present. Was the methodology appropriate to answer the research question? Why or why not?
5. Was the population studied clearly identified? What sampling approach was used? Be sure to include whether this study used probability or non-probability sampling. Describe the characteristics of the sample. Was the sampling appropriate for the research question? Why or why not? How were participants assigned to groups?
6. How does the textbook define reliability in reference to measurement? What might have been a measurement reliability issue in this study? Be sure to explain your response. (Hint: think in terms of who completed the ratings)
7. How does the textbook define internal validity? What were concerns related to internal validity in this study? Be sure to explain at least three potential threats to internal validity. (Hint: the authors discuss this in some detail)
8. What was the key result or finding from the study? Are the findings generalizable beyond the study? Why or why not? [Hint: external validity]
9. In your opinion, how does this research contribute to social work knowledge? Do you think it is useful for social work practitioners? Why or why not?
***Avoid direct quotes from the article and textbook. Instead, synthesize the information from both sources in your words words and cite, as per APA style guidelines.
***Make sure to use in-text citations and reference all your sources in APA.
***In writing up your article critique, please clarify what question you are addressing by using APA headings, as per the following example:
This essay is a critique of the article…..and will address ABC…..
Type of Research
The type of research in the Evaluation of wraparound services for severely emotional disturbed youths (Mears, Yaffe, & Harris, 2009) was…..
The research problem addressed in the Mears, Yaffe, & Harris (2009) article was….
Preferred language style Simple (Easy vocabulary, simple grammar constructions)
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Get free features with our reliable essay writing service
We offer you a free title page tailored according to the specifics of your particular style.
Include your preferred formatting style when you order from us to accompany your paper.
Get a list of references to go with your ordered paper.
24/7 support assistance
Reach out to our support agents anytime for free assistance.
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies