Culminating Project: Explanatory Synthesis Paper
Ac Eng 20B WINTER 2020
Length: 1,000-1,200 words (excluding Works Cited page)
Description: Double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt.-font, MLA formatting, Works Cited
page, 1-inch all around margins
File Format: Word document (doc or docx) ONLY
Major Due Date: Check the project timeline calendar.
• Finalize Source Selection: Thursday, Feb 6, 11:59 pm
• Summary & Synthesis #2: Tuesday, Feb 11, Class start time
• Grammar Journal: Thursday, Feb 13, Class start time
• Outlining: Sunday, Feb 16, 11:59 pm
• 1st Full Draft: Saturday, Feb 22, 11:59 pm
• Conference: Feb 24 (Mon) – Feb 28 (Fri)
• 2nd Full Draft: Sunday, Mar 1, 11:59 pm
• Peer Review: Tuesday, Mar 3, 11:59 pm
• Feedback Log: Sunday, Mar 8, 11:59 pm
• Final Synthesis Paper: Sunday, Mar 8, 11:59 pm
What issues must we understand in order to determine how drones should be viewed and used in
the future? How will this understanding shape policies, laws, and/or how we view our
relationship to this technology?
In this paper, you will need to synthesize information from several sources in order to 1)
introduce your readers to the controversies surrounding drones, 2) explain key issues in some
depth, and 3) suggest future actions that should be taken as a result.
Rather than organizing information by source, a synthesis organizes information based on
relationships among texts. Therefore, you will be required to notice how texts relate to one
another and what themes and relationships you see emerging. While reading sources, take careful
notes on the texts you read, especially when it comes to identifying themes and noticing
relationships among texts.
This assignment is called an explanatory synthesis paper. This means you will not form your
own argument or add your own claim to the paper. However, you will still develop a thesis that
answers the questions in the prompt, and you will likely revise your thesis throughout the
drafting process as you determine what you want to focus on in your paper.
● Incorporate 4-8 sources in your paper (at least three must be from Unit 1 class texts).
Sources should be published in the last five years (since 2015).
Ac Eng 20B WINTER 2020
● Provide accurate in-text citations and create a reference list (Works Cited page) following
an MLA citation style.
● You may use headings to separate subtopics.
● Length: 1,000-1,200 words (about 4-page length), not including Works Cited page
● Identify relationships among texts
● Locate themes and subtopics in texts
● Organize information and planning the structure of a paper with multiple sources
● Integrate paraphrased, summarized, and quoted material into your paper
Synthesis of Information • provides sufficient background information on the topic
• explains each subtopic thoroughly
• avoids unnecessary repetition
Organization organizes the synthesis by subtopics, not by sources
Source Integration integrates source materials smoothly and with an appropriate
amount of detail
Citation appropriate citations to avoid plagiarism
Language Use language/grammar choices for academic writing
Format and Mechanics has been carefully edited and formatted in MLA style
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Get free features with our reliable essay writing service
We offer you a free title page tailored according to the specifics of your particular style.
Include your preferred formatting style when you order from us to accompany your paper.
Get a list of references to go with your ordered paper.
24/7 support assistance
Reach out to our support agents anytime for free assistance.
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies