Dissecting Doctor Moreau” Prof. Winchock Prompt
: Across the second half of this semester, we have applied our critical thinking skills to an assortment of philosophical perspectives about human nature from around the world. Now, using both these skills and philosophies, we should be able to decipher the message about human nature with which H. G. Wells artistically presents us in The Island of Doctor Moreau . For this paper, then, I would like you to:
1. Explain Doctor Moreau’s perspective , based on one of the philosophies that we have read (Hsun Tzu, Mencius, Plato, Hobbes, Locke, or Benedict).
a. Spend at least one paragraph carefully explaining the philosophical argument. b. Spend at least one p aragraph carefully discussing the novel in relation to this
For example: I might 1) explain Mencius, and then 2) Analyze Moreau through Mencius’ ideas.
2. Using two of the philosophers that we have read (Hsun Tzu, Mencius, Plato, Hobbes, Locke, and Benedict), explore the counterarguments that can be made throughout the novel against Moreau’s position.
a. Spend at least one paragraph for each philosopher
b. and spend at least one paragraph analyzing the novel through each philosopher.
For example: I might 1) Explain Hsun Tzu, and 2) Critique Moreau through Hsun Tzu’s ideas; then 3) Explain Hobbes, and 4) Critique Moreau through Hobbes’ ideas.
● Be sure to carefully explain your three chosen philosophies ( citing specific details and
quotations from the texts) in relation to specific cited details and quotations f rom the novel.
● You should have four sources in this paper: Wells’ novel and three different critical texts . Please do not “double dip” philosophers in your answers to the two parts of the prompt!
● You should write this as an essay , not a two-part exam question. This means that you should have a central claim that asserts the argument (logical conclusion) that you are making in this paper. You should, therefore, also have an intro and conclusion paragraph.
Grading : You will be graded based on your 1) comprehension of the philosophical positions, 2) your comprehension of Moreau’s argument, and 3) your comprehension of the counterarguments.
Parameters: At least 750 words ( though you may need more ), 12-pt times New Roman font. Double-spaced, 1” margins on all sides. MLA format with parenthetical citations.
Due Dates : The Final Draft is due at the end of the day ( midnight ) on May 13th – just submit a copy to Cougar Courses and you’re good to go!
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Get free features with our reliable essay writing service
We offer you a free title page tailored according to the specifics of your particular style.
Include your preferred formatting style when you order from us to accompany your paper.
Get a list of references to go with your ordered paper.
24/7 support assistance
Reach out to our support agents anytime for free assistance.
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies