Read another short story from the book Krik? Krak! titled “New York Day Women.” – available online (click on the link to access the short story pdf).
For this discussion board post, you will
compare and contrast this fictional short story, with the first fictional short story you read by Edwidge Danticat, “Children of the Sea.”
In your post, consider up to two of the questions below. Be sure to write 200 words at least.
Remember to include a question to the class that students can only answer by making references to the text (see instructions further below).
Questions to consider in your post:
1. What is the setting for “New York Day Women”: where is the short story taking place, geographically, but also what physical places do you find characters walking through/ living in in the short story? How is this setting (geographic location, physical places) different from “Children of the Sea”? Refer to the text or page numbers to illustrate your claim.
2. Who are the main characters in “New York Day Women”? How is their background, social status, relationships different or similar to characters in “Children of the Sea”? What is the political, historical and/or economic context of this short story?
Refer to the text or page numbers to illustrate your claim.
3. In prose fiction, there is a narrator that tells the story. Sometimes the narrator is easy to identify, other times, it is more difficult to realize that there is a narrator. The narrator can be a third party that does not have a name, that knows all of the details. That is an “omniscient narrator.” Or, the narrator can be a character in the story, that has a limited perspective. Other times, the narrator can be a character in the story, and tells the story from “I” perspective. Take a look at “New York Day Women,” and if there is someone who tells the story – who explains what the characters are doing, how they are feeling, what they are thinking, the time of day, describes the setting, etc. Does this narrator make use of the subject pronoun “you”, who is the narrator addressing, if anyone? How is this different from the narrator in “Children of the Sea”? Explain with references to the text.
4. There is physical and emotional distance between two characters in this short story. How is the distance expressed, in reference to physical distance? Refer to the text. How is the emotional distance defined? Refer to the text. How is this similar or different to one relationship between two characters in “Children of the Sea”?
5. Are there any symbols or metaphors in “New York Day Women” that relate to a tragic distance, and/or to the impossibility to resolve differences or reconcile loved ones? How about in “Children of the Sea”?
6. What do the two short stories reveal about Edwidge Danticat’s writing style, and do they perform what you learned about Négritude: The Aim of Francophone literature, at that time, was to: Restore Black and African values in popular culture and in consciousness…
– At the end of your Discussion Board post, include a question for classmates to answer.
Why Choose Us
At Acme Writers, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Acme Writers, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
Acme Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Acme Writers maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, Acme Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: support@Acme Writers.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
Acme Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At Acme Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Acme Writers, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Acme Writers has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
Acme Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.