* This research paper is a requirement of the course.
* Students who do not submit a paper will automatically receive a grade of F for the course.
* All students are required to submit this research paper into the college assessment area under “Global Learning- written”.
Objectives of the research paper: Students will explore the changing food culture in the United States (US), New York State (NYS) and New York City (NYC) by:
1. Exploring the impact of big business on the American farmer.
2. Exploring the impact of the advertising on the US food voice/culture.
3. Exploring the origins, and philosophy of the Slow Food Movement and its impact in the US.
4. Exploring the Farm to Table Initiative in NYS/NYC.
5. Exploring food insecurity in the NYS/NYC.
9. IMPORTANT: Students must RESEARCH the following topics by answering the prompts below. The final research paper must include:
* Facts/ data/ information to support the statements made in the paper.
* The sources of the facts/ data/ information used in the paper
* The sources within the body of the paper and at the end on the Reference page.
* Title: The Changing Face of Food in the US: (approximately 6 to 8 pages)
1. Explore the influence of big business on American agriculture.
1. Monsanto Corporation is a major seed supplier. Explain the controversy that surrounds the GMO seeds produced by Monsanto. Explain Monsanto’s monopoly on the sale of seeds to American farmers.(3/4 page)
2. Identify the regulatory agency and explain the legal requirements that must be followed for a farm to produce organic foods. (½ page)
3. Explain what is meant by heirloom foods. Explain why farmers stopped producing heirloom foods? Why are heirloom foods regaining popularity? (½ page)
4. Do you support the business practices of Monsanto or the practices of American farmers growing organic and heirloom foods? Explain your answer. (½ page)
2. Explore the major food companies in shaping the food voice/culture of the US:
1. Choose one of the following companies: Kraft, Smithfield Farms, or General Mills and discuss the history (name of the founder, location of the company, how the company expanded, and year originated) ( ½ page)
2. Answer the prompts below for your chosen food company: General Mills; Smithfield Farms; or Kraft Foods (1 ½ pages) (Answer in complete sentences)
* Two major foods sold
* The target audience for each food identified above
* Discuss how foods are regulated and processed at your company
* Compare this process to the regulations of the USDA for organic food production
3. Provide an overview of the Slow Food Movement:
1. The Slow Food Movement began in Italy. What year did it begin and who started it? What were the Italian people protesting? What did the people eat during the protest to show their dissatisfaction with what was happening? (½ page)
2. The Concept of Conviviality is the basic philosophy of the Slow Food Movement. Explain what is meant by the Concept of Conviviality? (½ page)
3. Provide data to demonstrate the popularity of the Slow Food Movement in the world, the US, and NY? (½ page)
4. Provide an overview of the Farm to Table initiative:
1. Governor Cuomo held a summit in 2014 to discuss the many Farm to Table initiatives in NYS to support farmers and the access of healthy food by consumers. Explain the components of the following programs: (1 ½ pages)(Answer in complete sentences)
* Taste New York.
* FreshConnect, Fresh Food Box and Manager Certification program.
* Farm to Institutions in NYS (FINYS)
2. Explain how the Farm to Table initiatives complement the objectives of the Slow Food Movement. (½ page)
5. Provide an overview of food insecurity in the NYC:
1. Explain what is meant by the following terms: food insecurity, food bank, and food desert.
3. (½ page)
4. Explain the basic principle of the Supplemental Food and Nutrition Program (SNAP) also known as Food Stamps. How many people participate in SNAP in NYC? How many SNAP participants in NYC are estimated to be children 18 years old and younger? ( ½ page)
5. Single Stop is a program available at LaGuardia Community College: Explain the basic services of Single Stop. Specifically explain the resources that Single Stop provides to the college community regarding food security? (½ page)
6. Reflection: After completing this paper, what topic did you find the most interesting? What impact did this topic have on your food voice or on the way you see food? (1 page)
a. The Internet:
* Most of the information for this report is accessible on the Internet. Information must be from well accepted and respected online sources. Much of the information can be located at the United States and New York State government websites. Look for the tag “.org” or “.gov” at the end of the web address.
b. Scholarly articles:
* Look for information in professional peer reviewed journals.
* Use at least one source/reference from a peer reviewed professional journal.
* Within the paper: All the references must be properly cited within the body of the paper using the APA format.
* At the end of the paper: All references used to write the paper must be presented on a separate reference page at the end of the paper using the APA format.
* For guidance on how to present the citations within the body and the reference page, see the web pages: www.lagcc.cuny.edu/library/apa.htm or https://owl.english.purdue.edu/
* The College library holds workshops toward the end of each semester on how to properly cite student work.
2. The Paper:
a. The paper must be typed: 12 font, Times New Roman, double-spaced, 1” margins, and presented neatly.
b. Use complete sentences for all of your answers. Grammar, spelling and neatness count toward your final grade.
c. The page length for each topic is a guide. The total length of the paper should be approximately 8 pages long.
3. Submitting the paper:
a. There are two (2) draft submissions due on the dates identified.
b. The final paper must be submitted
* In digital format through “Safe Assign” in Blackboard by the due date. A 15% match is acceptable on the paper.
* As a hard copy to the instructor on the due date.
c. Digital Deposits:
* All students must deposit the paper in the college assessment area: Global Learning –written.
* All Food and Nutrition majors must ALSO upload this paper in digital format in their ePortfolio.
4. Academic Integrity:
a. “This class will be conducted in compliance with LaGuardia Community College’s academic integrity policy.” Information about the academic integrity policies and procedures can be found at www.laguardia.edu/asc/Home/
1. All information presented in this project must be written IN THE STUDENT’S OWN WORDS. If material for the project is taken directly from a source, it must be in quotations, and the source properly cited. The number and length of quotes must be kept to a minimum for this paper.
Why Choose Us
At Acme Writers, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Acme Writers, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
Acme Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Acme Writers maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, Acme Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: support@Acme Writers.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
Acme Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At Acme Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Acme Writers, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Acme Writers has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
Acme Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.