At the completion of the course, students will write a summary of their assessment of an issue they find interesting or important regarding what they have learned about aging and the lives of older adults in the context of a major city in Latin America (approximately 1,000-2,000 words). The summary paper should cite at least two of the readings and two of the lectures but can be on any topic of their choosing that was discussed during the course.
Course lecture (zoom link) (choose 2)
ID: taegyunc Password: Rkskekfkak258!!!
Course Readings: (2 readings from here)
Demographics and Socioeconomic Conditions of the Aging Population
• Donehower, Gretchen, Paulo Saad, and Tim Miller. 2013. “Colombia’s Ageing Future – Turning
Points and Policy Options: A Look Towards 2040 and Beyond. CELADE – Population Division 5:
• Pan American Health Organization. 2017. “Country Profiles: Colombia” in Health in the
Americas+, 2017 Edition. Summary: Regional Outlook and Country Profiles. Washington, D.C.:
PAHO: pg. 115-118.
• Jessel, Ella. 2017. “‘If I’m Stratum 3, That’s Who I Am’: Inside Bogotá’s Social Stratification
System.” The Guardian, November 9, 2017, sec. Cities.
Aging and the Environment
• Medina, Carlos, Leonardo Morales, and Jairo Nuñez. 2008. “Quality of Life in Urban
Neighborhoods in Colombia: The Cases of Bogotá and Medellín.” Borradores de Economia 536,
Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
• Lucumí, Diego I., Luis F. Gomez, Ross C. Brownson, and Diana C. Parra. 2015. “Social Capital,
Socioeconomic Status, and Health-Related Quality of Life among Older Adults in Bogotá
(Colombia).” Journal of Aging and Health 27 (4): 730–50.
• Bocarejo, Juan Pablo, Ingrid Joanna Portilla, Juan Miguel Velásquez, Mónica Natalia Cruz,
Andrés Peña, and Daniel Ricardo Oviedo. 2014. “An Innovative Transit System and Its Impact on Low Income Users: The Case of the Metrocable in Medellín.” Journal of Transport Geography 39: 49–61.
– Lotero Laura, Hurtado Rafael G., Floría Luis Mario, and Gómez-Gardeñes Jesús. 2016. “Rich Do Not Rise Early: Spatio-Temporal Patterns in the Mobility Networks of Different Socio-Economic Classes.” Royal Society Open Science 3 (10): 150654.
Food and Nutrition
• Chavarro-Carvajal, Diego, Carlos Reyes-Ortiz, Rafael Samper-Ternent, Antonio J. Arciniegas,
and Carlos Cano Gutierrez. 2015. “Nutritional Assessment and Factors Associated to Malnutrition in Older Adults: A Cross-Sectional Study in Bogotá, Colombia.” Journal of Aging and Health 27 (2): 304–19.
• Arza, C. 2017. “The expansion of economic protection for older adults in Latin America.”
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research Working Paper 2017 (29); 3-22.
Health and Health Care
• Curcio, Carmen-Lucia, Alejandro Pineda, Paola Quintero, Ángela Rojas, Sandra Muñoz, and
Fernando Gómez. 2018. “Successful Aging in Colombia: The Role of Disease.” Gerontology and
Geriatric Medicine 4: 1-11.
• Cano Gutierrez, Carlos, Carlos Reyes-Ortiz, Miguel German Borda, and Antonio Arciniegas.
2016. “Self-Reported Vaccination in the Elderly: SABE Bogota Study, Colombia.” Colombia
Medica (Cali, Colombia) 47 (1): 25–30.
• Curcio, Carmen-Lucia, Guadalupe-Maria Henao, and Fernando Gomez. 2014. “Frailty among
Rural Elderly Adults.” BMC Geriatrics 14: 1-9.
• Gómez, Fernando, Carmen-Lucía Curcio, and Gustavo Duque. 2009. “Health Care for Older
Persons in Colombia: A Country Profile.” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 57 (9): 1692–96.
Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia (ADRD)
• Vargas, Efraín Amaya, Ángela Magnolia Ríos Gallardo, Guillermo González Manrrique, Lina M
Murcia-Paredes, and María Consuelo Angarita Riaño. 2014. “Prevalence of Dementia in
Colombian Populations.” Dementia & Neuropsychologia 8 (4): 323–29.
• Lopera, F., Ardilla, A., Martínez, A., Madrigal, L., Arango-Viana, J., Lemere, C., … Kosik, K.
(1997). Clinical Features of Early-Onset Alzheimer Disease in a Large Kindred With an E280A Presenilin-1 Mutation. JAMA, 277(10), 793–799. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1997.03540340027028
• García-Toro, M., Sánchez-Gómez, M., Madrigal Zapata, L., Lopera, F., & García-Toro, M. (2018). “In the flesh”: Narratives of family caregivers at risk of Early-onset Familial Alzheimer’s Disease. Dementia (London, England), 1471301218801501–1471301218801501. https://doi.org/10.1177/1471301218801501
• Reardon, S. (2018). Pioneering Alzheimer’s study in Colombia zeroes in on enigmatic protein. Nature, 555(7698), 567–568. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-018-03848-4
• Belluck, P. (2019, November 4). Why Didn’t She Get Alzheimer’s? The Answer Could Hold a Key to Fighting the Disease. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/health/alzheimers-treatment-genetics.html
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.