Research Paper Topics and Guidelines
Requirements and Tips:
· Your paper must be 5-7 pages long (double spaced; use a Times New Roman, 12 point font).
· The paper should evaluate/analyze a legal issue from a language perspective.
· Your paper must meet the standards of a college level paper, both in content and in terms of writing mechanics. Be sure to include a Works Cited section and to cite your sources properly in the text. (MLA or APA style are both fine.)
· You must read at least 3 outside sources on your topic and cite them in your essay.
Topics (PICK ONE)
1. Closing Statements In a trial, closing statements are critically important. Your paper should address: what is the point of a closing statement? What makes a good closing statement? Find examples of closing statements (many are available on youtube). These can be from big cases in the media or small cases. Describe what the attorneys do and evaluate their closing statements based on what you know about how language works in the courtroom.
Lief, M. S., Caldwell, H. M., & Bycel, B. (1999). Ladies and gentlemen of the jury: Greatest closing arguments in modern law. Simon and Schuster.
Rosulek, L. F. (2014). Dueling discourses: The construction of reality in closing arguments. Oxford University Press.
2. Questioning techniques in the courtroom. Attorneys use questions in very specific ways in the courtroom in order to convince juries of the defendant’s guilt or innocence. Read up on these questioning techniques and their effects. Then analyze examples of real courtroom questioning in light of what your sources report about the characteristics of courtroom questioning. You may also consider the techniques used in courts with children or other vulnerable witnesses or defendants. You must back up your analysis with relevant transcript examples.
Azucena, Rigney (1999). Questioning in interpreted testimony. International Journal of Speech, Language and the Law 6(1).
Danet, Brenda, and Nicole Kermish. “Courtroom questioning: A sociolinguistic perspective.” Psychology and persuasion in advocacy (1978): 412-41.
Penman, Robyn. “Discourse in courts: Cooperation, coercion, and coherence.” Discourse processes 10.3 (1987): 201-218.
3. Language minorities and the legal system: What are the rights of language minorities in the courts and how does that work in reality? Describe and analyze what it takes to provide a person who does not speak English with a fair trial. Collect your own data about the difficulty of interpreting accurately in an actual conversation. For instance, you may visit a court room and observe a case or interview a non-English speaking person who has had to deal with the American court system. You may also interview a person you know who is not a native English speakers and his/her experiences interacting with police or in the court room.
Conley and O’Barr, Just Words; Law, Language and Power. Chapter 9. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/24/news/new-york-s-court-interpreters-overworked-link.html?scp=41&sq=Linguistic+%26+Court&st=nyt also describes the challenges that court interpreters and the need for them.
Another one on the same subject with examples from Spanish: http://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/08/us/the-fine-art-of-interpreting-in-a-miami-court.html
Hale, Sandra. “How faithfully do court interpreters render the style of non-English speaking witnesses’ testimonies? A data-based study of Spanish—English bilingual proceedings.” Discourse Studies 4.1 (2002): 25-47.
Eades, Diana. “7. PARTICIPATION OF SECOND LANGUAGE AND SECOND DIALECT SPEAKERS IN THE LEGAL SYSTEM.” Annual Review of Applied Linguistics 23 (2003): 113-133.
Why Choose Us
At Acme Writers, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Acme Writers, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
Acme Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Acme Writers maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, Acme Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: support@Acme Writers.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
Acme Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At Acme Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Acme Writers, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Acme Writers has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
Acme Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.