Math Writing Assignment Essays | Online Homework Help
These are the questions to answer: A neighbor of mine has a lawn that isn’t looking too good. He has decided to remove all the old sod (grass), bring in a new 4 inch layer of topsoil, install new in-ground sprinklers, and reseed the lawn. He seems to think that he’ll be able to save money by hauling loads of topsoil from the store himself in his pickup truck, rather than paying for delivery, but I don’t think he’s right. You’re going to help us settle this. Should he hire a delivery truck or pick-up the soil himself?
1) Make an educated guess of how many pickup truck loads of topsoil my neighbor would need.
2) What additional information is needed to make this decision? Put a list of at least 10 questions in the answer box below. Once you submit your answers, part 2 of this assignment should appear. If it doesn’t, let your instructor know.
Unit 4 – Measurement
• Define units of length, weight, and capacity and convert from one to another.
• Perform arithmetic calculations on units of length, weight, and capacity.
• Solve application problems involving units of length, weight, and capacity.
• Describe the general relationship between the U.S. customary units and metric units of length, weight/mass, and volume.
• Define the metric prefixes and use them to perform basic conversions among metric units.
• Solve application problems involving metric units of length, mass, and volume.
• State the freezing and boiling points of water on the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales.
• Convert from one temperature scale to the other, using conversion formulas.
U.S. customary measurement system – the set of units commonly used in the United States of America and 2 other countries (Liberia and Myanmar). The common U.S. units and their conversions are provided in the tables below
foot (ft) = 12 inches
yard (yd) = 3 feet
mile (mi) = 5280 feet or 1760 yards
pound (lb) = 16 ounces
ton = 2000 pounds
fluid ounce (fl oz)
cup (cp) = 8 fluid ounces
pint (pt) = 2 cups or 16 fluid ounces
quart (qt) = 2 pints or 4 cups
gallon (gal) = 4 quarts or 16 cups
metric system – the set of units commonly used in the world (except for the three countries mentioned above). Each dimension of measure has a base unit seen in the table below.
Dimension Length Weight Liquid Volume
Base Unit meter gram Liter
The same set of prefixes are then applied to any base unit to create units of different sizes. An example of this, using meters, is shown in the table below.
Name Amount of base unit
micrometer (μμm) = 0.000 001 meters
millimeter (mm) = 0.001 meters
centimeter (cm) = 0.01 meters
meter (m) = 1 meter
kilometer (km) = 1,000 meters
megameter (Mm) = 1,000,000 meters
gigameter (Gm) = 1,000,000,000 meters
converting between U.S. and metric units – some common conversions are given in the table below and are approximations. These will be provided in problems if they are needed.
Dimension U.S. units Metric units
length 3.28 feet 1 meter
weight 2.2 pounds 1 kilogram
liquid volume 1 gallon 3.79 liters
temperature units – the U.S. unit of temperature is degrees Fahrenheit (F) and the units for temperature in the metric system are degrees Celsius (C). The formula relating the two is given by F=95C+32F=95C+32 or equivalently C=59(F−32)C=59(F-32)
converting area and volume – to convert area unit you simply square the length conversions e.g. 3ft=1yd3ft=1yd so 9ft2=1yd29ft2=1yd2 . Similarly you would cube (raise to the third power) any unit conversions for length to get the corresponding unit conversions for volume e.g. 27ft3=1yd327ft3=1yd3
Lab: Measurements (Part 1)
With LatePass, due Sat 6/6/20, 11:59 pm Use LatePass | Un-use LatePass
In the first part of this lab you will estimate part of the answer and brainstorm some questions that would need to be answered to solve it. The questions you write will need to be manually graded by the instructor (OHM is not that powerful yet :). Until the instructor grades the written part it will be scored with zero points so don’t worry if your grade is bad for this part initially. You must complete this part before accessing Unit 4 Lab Part 2.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Get free features with our reliable essay writing service
We offer you a free title page tailored according to the specifics of your particular style.
Include your preferred formatting style when you order from us to accompany your paper.
Get a list of references to go with your ordered paper.
24/7 support assistance
Reach out to our support agents anytime for free assistance.
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies