Please use the information provided to create this paper and please use the readings list that was provided for references.
Suggested Length: Written Paper: 5-7 pages. Please limit your paper to 7 pages.
The purpose of this assignment is to connect theory to practice by conducting an in-depth psychosocial assessment (social developmental history) and developing an intervention plan of an individual student or a group of students within a school context. If your work within schools is primarily programmatic, you may apply this assignment to the assessment of a group, program, and/or systems work within the school. If you do not have a placement within either of these settings, you may either choose a past practice experience within a school setting, or use a film in which a school setting is clearly featured (see alternative assignment). Your assessment and intervention plan should include attention to and information from all systems involved: interdisciplinary school staff (teachers, and others), student (s), parent(s)/family, and other community agencies, as applicable.
Please indicate sources of information that you have used for this assessment and intervention plan (e.g. individual, family, group sessions—how many and with whom; consultation with interdisciplinary school/counseling staff; school/agency records).
In your assessment and intervention plan, please address the following areas:
1. Student (s) (1 page)
Identifying Information: Demographics (age, gender, race, ethnicity, SES)
Presenting Problem/Concern: why is the student (s) referred for social work services and/or what is the programmatic/systems issue/concern that is being addressed and why? What is the student (s)’s reaction to the referral and his/her/their view of the problem?
Developmental stage (early, middle, late adolescence)
and developmental issues, concerns, struggles. How is the student(s)
functioning in relation to major developmental tasks: Identity, Sexuality,
Autonomy/Separation, Academic Achievement, Peer Involvement?
School History: How is the student (s) functioning in school, now and in the past? Please provide a complete yet concise school history, including academics, attendance, behavior (with teachers and peers). Highlight strengths, difficulties, transition points. Discuss when school went well and did not go well and circumstances in each (e.g. school context, setting, teachers, etc.). Also describe any specific testing and special services received and results of these.
2. School Context (1 page)
Describe the school context and ways in which this setting supports and/or impedes the student (s)’ learning and social/emotional development.
Describe all interdisciplinary collaboration you have had in assessing this student(s). If applicable, include classroom or other observations. As in question above, please describe interdisciplinary school staff who support and/or impede school functioning.
3. Family (1 page)
Provide essential family information: who lives in the home; culture, race, ethnicity, customs, religious background, SES, parental vocations, and educational level of family members. Significant changes/problems in the family (e.g. marriages, divorces, births, deaths, tragedies, loss, moves, dislocations, etc) and the impact on student (s)’ functioning? If possible, a 3-generational genogram is recommended to obtain essential family information/understanding.
How is the family (parents, siblings, extended family) supporting or impeding the student (s)’ school/social emotional functioning?
Parent (s)’ relationship with the school. What is the quality of the parent(s) relationship with school staff (teachers, administrators, etc)? What kind of parental involvement with the school has there been?
4. Current Functioning and Summary: Provide a concise case formulation in which you summarize your understanding of the difficulties and resources within the individual, family, school systems and what biopsychosocialcultural factors have contributed to the current situation/problem(s). Specifically, how is the student (s) functioning in and outside of school? What are specific areas for attention/intervention? (1 page).
5. Intervention/Treatment Plan: Provide a treatment/intervention plan in which you identify the problem(s) you and the client have targeted and the goals/objectives developed to address these problems. Describe/Discuss who (student, family, school system) you would work with and provide your rationale/reasons for these decisions. Would you recommend intervention with the student (s), the family (or selected family members), within the school or with all. Why?
6. Please describe 2 beginning interventions you have used with the student, family, or within the school. Were they effective? How do you know?
In addition to these guidelines, the following apply to this assignment:
• The paper must be typed and double-spaced.
• References to readings/literature from the required and recommended bibliographies for this course should be used throughout your paper. Please use at least 5 articles/chapters, from this course, or more, as needed, to properly cite other’s work. If you wish to use readings outside of this course, please do so, but please first use 5 readings from this course.
• References must be made according to the publication style of the American Psychological Association, both in the text and in a reference page at the end of the paper.
For more information on Practice in a School Setting read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School