Race Crime & Masculinities Essay Questions
-Length 12-15 (not counted cover page, references)
-Answer Only One of three Questions
-Masculinity is never a tactic of finish product they are influenced by the gender ideals that we have come to except as proper (1993:67).
1) What are some of the reasons that some men might engage in “violent crime” to establish or prove their “masculinity”. In answering, consider how power shapes masculinity in society. Patricia Hill-Collins (2005) and Michelle Alexander (2010) see Black men as situated near the bottom of the masculine hierarchy while white man predominately have the power this creates both subordinated and marginalized masculinities is driven by notions of racialized masculine identities (hooks, 2003 B). Connell criticizes the social scientist who failed to recognize race within masculinity and does concede that racialized identities within masculinity under theorized (Connell and Messerschmidt, 2005). Patricia Hill-Collins (2005) and bell hooks (2003b) view hegemonic masculinity as the basis for subordination and marginalization of Black men and their masculinities.
2) How does the policing (law enforcement and communal) of Black masculinities shape their construction of gender and sexuality among its potential targets, within Black communities?
3) According to Connell (1987:183), “male rape can be more meaningfully explained as an ascendant form of masculinity that subordinates femininity and some forms of masculinity”. You are to critically assess this statement in relation to all genders as offenders and victims of rape. Further, it is mandatory that you theoretically frame your response within frameworks that recognize the saliency of social identities, including but not limited to class, race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality and ability. In answering, consider how power shapes masculinity in society. Patricia Hill-Collins (2005) and Michelle Alexander (2010) see Black men as situated near the bottom of the masculine hierarchy while white man predominately have the power this creates both subordinated and marginalized masculinities is driven by notions of racialized masculine identities (hooks, 2003 B). Connell criticizes the social scientist who failed to recognize race within masculinity and does concede that racialized identities within masculinity under theorized (Connell and Messerschmidt, 2005). Patricia Hill-Collins (2005) and bell hooks (2003b) view hegemonic masculinity as the basis for subordination and marginalization of Black men and their masculinities
Choose a total of (5) readings from the course and use your chosen readings as examples of understanding race crime & masculinities.
The readings for this course share some basic premises: raced, gendered & hegemonic patriarchal masculinities influences men’s actions and the way men perceive themselves, other men, children, LGBTQI persons and women.
Your essay is not a summary of any theorist or author’s work. Rather your essay should engage in a substantive way (employ and work with textual evidence) from select course readings/film/documentaries or other “text/context” you chose as a focal point for the paper. Read carefully and think before you write. Precision, depth and imagination, rather than volume (breadth), are what counts.
Finally, a good essay is like a road map. The introduction is a road map for their reader – professor – TA. A reader should be able to read the introduction to see if they want to take the trip/journey at all, and if so, what they should expect along the way. Secondly, writing is a process that requires revision: revise, revise, revise!!! And, revision is far more than editing; by definition it is rethinking – strong expository writing is preceded by active, critical READING.
• You must include the eight (8) sections/parts/subheadings, think of it as your academic GPS.
1) Title (Cover page) page: 1
Title of your paper
Your Banner ID Number (e.g., 100123456).
Student legal name
2) Abstract: page 2
In 150-300 words or less, provide a brief summary of what your paper is about. In 150-300 words or less, provide a brief summary of what your paper is about. An abstract is an excerpted passage, brief, summary or short statement that describes your paper. It contains for example but not exclusive the theoretical framework, scope, purpose, methodology, results, and contents of the work. Does the abstract have keywords?
o Define the problem, its nature, scope, extent and importance!
o Define the terms, theories, concepts to be used and why!
o State how you plan to add new knowledge to the given topic.
4) Literature Review. This is another subheading or section.
Discuss the work of prior researchers. This means summarizing the work that others have done (of course, you may have to read additional literature that precedes 2000 to become familiar with the activists, theoretical and scholarly debate in the literature) and find a way to discuss the existing works thematically, conceptually, or methodologically.
o How is prior work or theorists relevant to your current literature review?
o Provide a synthesis and criticism of existing works (theoretical, conceptual, operational, methodological, and analytical).
o What shortcomings (policy, law, procedures) and deficiencies exist in prior works?
o It is not sufficient to simply inform the reader about the previous works. In other words, are the weakness or gaps in the authors’ arguments and line of thought.
o A literature review is a way improving and building upon the work of other scholars. We are in the business of modifying the wheel, not reinventing it.
o What remedies can you recommend improving the existing state of knowledge?
5) Claims/results/findings. This is another subheading or section.
o What are your main findings/claims/arguments?
o What arguments are you making?
o What evidence are you providing in support of your argument and claim?
o Findings should be presented in thematic categories.
6) General discussion and conclusion. This is another subheading or section.
o Does your finding/argument contravene or contradict the findings of prior research?
o Does your finding support the current knowledge about a given topic?
o Discuss the implications of your work for researchers and policymakers.
o Discuss the limitations of your own work.
o Discuss what future policy research you would recommend!
7) References. This is on a separate page at the end of your paper, under the subheading references.
Use APA format: Please refer to the examples in the Concise Guide to APA Style, Seventh Edition, which is adapted by the American Psychological Association (APA) from its Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Seventh Edition. https://apastyle.apa.org/
For more information on Race Crime and Masculinities read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemonic_masculinity
Why Choose Us
At Acme Writers, we always aim at 100% customer satisfaction. As such, we never compromise o the quality of our homework services. Our homework helpers ensure that they craft each paper carefully to match the requirements of the instruction form.
Professional Academic Writers
With Acme Writers, every student is guaranteed high-quality, professionally written papers. We ensure that we hire individuals with high academic qualifications who can maintain our quality policy. These writers undergo further training to sharpen their writing skills, making them more competent in writing academic papers.
Our company maintains a fair pricing system for all academic writing services to ensure affordability. Our pricing system generates quotations based on the properties of individual papers.
Acme Writers guarantees all students of swift delivery of papers. We understand that time is an essential factor in the academic world. Therefore, we ensure that we deliver the paper on or before the agreed date to give students ample time for reviewing.
Acme Writers maintains a zero-plagiarism policy in all papers. As such, Acme Writers professional academic writers ensure that they use the students’ instructions to deliver plagiarism-free papers. We are very keen on avoiding any chance of similarities with previous papers.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support works around the clock to provide students with assistance or guidance at any time of the day. Students can always communicate with us through our live chat system or our email and receive instant responses. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: support@Acme Writers.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our writers complete papers strictly according to your instructions and needs, no matter what university, college, or high school you study in.
Our Homework Writing Services
Acme Writers holds a reputation for being a platform that provides high-quality homework writing services. All you need to do is provide us with all the necessary requirements of the paper and wait for quality results.
At Acme Writers, we have highly qualified academic gurus who will offer great assistance towards completing your essays. Our homework writing service providers are well-versed with all the aspects of developing high-quality and relevant essays.
Admission and Business Papers
With Acme Writers, we will help you secure a position at your desired institution. Our essay writing services include the crafting of admissions papers. We will still help you climb your career ladder by helping you write the official papers that will help you secure a job. We will guide you on how to write an outstanding portfolio or resume.
Editing and Proofreading
Acme Writers has a professional editorial team that will help you organize your paper, paraphrase it, and eliminate any possible mistakes. Also, we will help you check on plagiarism to ensure that your final paper posses quality and originality.
Acme Writers harbors professional academic writers from diverse academic disciplines. As such, we can develop homework writing services in all academic areas. The simplicity or complexity of the paper does not affect the quality of homework writing services.