Situation Analysis (INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNMENT):
Situation Analysis Assignment (100 points) The purpose of this 100-point individually written assignment is to learn about the company (Whirlpool, Garmin, Best Buy or Domino’s Pizza), and about business and industry, by collecting and analyzing your findings from secondary research using Metropolitan State’s online database library. This assignment will also help you develop the skills to do the background and situation analysis for your marketing plan. The tools and methods you will learn through this assignment will be invaluable for this class, and as you proceed through the program.
Following are the requirements to earn an “A” for this assignment:
1) Demonstrates your thorough understanding of the assignment purpose; the outcomes desired; the audience targeted.
A situation analysis provides the necessary backdrop (a foundation of facts and figures), that builds the basis for a successful strategic marketing plan. It describes where a company or product has been, where it is now, and where it is headed. It includes the identification of industry trends, a company’s competitors, analysis of the organization itself, and findings from secondary research of present and prospective customers.
The Paradise Kitchens marketing plan in Appendix A of Chapter 2 provides an excellent example of a Situation Analysis; for internal factors, it organizes strengths and weaknesses of seven factors. For external factors, it analyzes opportunities and threats for five factors. Include a description of all/most factors in your SWOT. The Situation Analysis paper concludes with a marketing recommendation that is based (and cited) on your secondary research findings and your analysis of the situation.
The audience for a Situation Analysis is a chief financial officer, a chief marketing officer, a corporate planner, a banker, a venture capital firm – anyone who might have decision-making authority when it comes to funding a marketing plan proposal. They want to know that YOU know and understand the facts and figures that relate to the company you have chosen, the industry and its trends, competitors, customers, etc. before they will fund the project. They are not interested in just your opinion.
Take note that current customer groups are to be included in the one page history and background of the company.
The Industry analysis section of your paper will cover trends and growth in the industry in which your chosen company operates (the restaurant industry, the manufacturing industry, etc.). This Industry Analysis provides for an in-depth understanding of the industry; without it, the marketing plan may be misguided.
2) The document structure is logical and sequential. Each paragraph begins with a strong topic sentence. That is thoroughly developed and supported in the remaining sentences. Transitions between paragraphs and sentences are smooth. Sections are separated by headings appropriate to each heading level.
Please do not submit one big block of text; use Level I, II, III headings, etc. that logically organize your academic writing. Follow APA formatting rules for Level headings.
3) Contains a clear statement of the central issue(s) themes. Uses appropriate, relevant and compelling content to convey ideas and demonstrate mastery of the subject matter. Consistently demonstrates critical thinking and thoughtful analysis. Critical thinking means making reasoned judgments based on evidence; analysis breaks down something into parts and a discussion of those parts. Simply creating a list of facts and figures does not indicate critical thinking or thoughtful analysis. Note how skillfully the Paradise Kitchens example in Appendix A uses its numerous “according to” to substantiate (back up) its views and build a case for potential funding, based on secondary research.
4) Document is formatted appropriately per APA 6th edition formatting rules and is free of punctuation, spelling, grammatical and capitalization errors. Word choice is strong, varied and appropriate for the subject matter and genre. The document includes a proper cover sheet, running head, page headings, Level I, II, III, etc. headings, in-text citations, and references.
5) All sources are correctly cited, are listed in the References section of the document, and are formatted per APA 6th edition formatting rules. All sources are credible, authoritative, timely, and relevant to support the main thesis. The sources for all citations are in the References list. All sources on the References list are cited in the paper.
Do not use the course textbook or other course materials, encyclopedias, Wikipedia, blogs or other editable Internet cites as references. Do not copy company descriptions from the company’s website – use your own words. Every reference is cited at least once in the document. The references list consists of only those documents that have been cited in the paper. Sources more than three years old are not considered to be timely. Please read the definition of plagiarism in the Student Handbook. It is important that you understand the policy on plagiarism. If you have questions about what plagiarism is and/or how to keep plagiarism out of your assignments, please contact the writing lab or the library.
Companies to choose from:
– Best Buy
– Domino’s Pizza
Required elements of the Situation Analysis
Brief history (history to present day) and background of the company including current customer groups (.75 page).
Industry analysis, industry trends, growth, main competitors. (1 page)
SWOT analysis (Table to include aligned Internal/External Factors (Enviro Factors) – minimum reduction of 10 points if these are missing) *minimum 3 each. In addition, paragraphs that detail the ‘WHYS’ for the SWOT information provided in the table. Keep in mind, these are YOUR thoughts, not what the company believes. (1.5 pages)
Conclude your paper with a marketing recommendation based on your secondary research findings and analysis of the situation. (.75 page)
Minimum of 3 learnings should be applied – use textbook learnings. For example, discuss the demographics of the current customer and/or maybe your recommendation includes repositioning, advertising options, etc.
Research the company you have chosen using at least five (5) properly cited and credible references. (Quick Tips for using the University library are posted on D2L under Course Information.) If you choose to cite information from the company’s website, this is considered a 6th reference. You are not allowed to use Wikipedia or blogs, or other editable internet sites as citations. Do not copy company descriptions from the company’s website. Use your own words. All references listed on the References page must be used and properly cited at least once in your paper.
You must use APA reference and style format for full credit.
No more than four (4) pages (not including cover page, introduction, references page, or appendixes), 10pt font, double-spaced.
If a paper has been plagiarized in any way, you’ll receive no credit, no second chance.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies