Treatment of Substance Use Disorders
Of the substance disorders, alcohol-related disorders are the most prevalent even though only a small percentage of individuals actually receive help. Recidivism in the substance treatment world is also very high. As research into treatment has developed, more and more evidence shows that genes for alcohol-metabolizing enzymes can vary by genetic inheritance. Women have been identified as particularly vulnerable to the impacts of alcohol. Native Americans, Asians, and some Hispanic and Celtic cultures also have increased vulnerability to alcohol misuse.
Even with these developments, treatment continues to spark debate. For many years, the substance use field itself has disagreed with mental health experts as to what treatments are the most effective for substance use disorders and how to improve outcomes. The debate is often over medication-assisted treatment (MAT) versus abstinence-based treatment (ABT). Recently the American Psychiatric Association has issued guidelines to help clinicians consider integrated solutions for those suffering with these disorders. In this Discussion, you consider your treatment plan for an individual with a substance use disorder.
To prepare: Read the case provided by your instructor for this week’s Discussion and the materials for the week. Then assume that you are meeting with the client as the social worker who recorded this case.
NOTE THERE MAY BE MORE THAN ONE DIAGNOSIS. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE WRITER READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND WRITE THE DIAGNOSIS LIKE THE ATTACHED EXAMPLE.
MAKE SURE THAT THE WRITER COVERS EVERY POINT
1. Post a 500-word response in which you address the following:
2. Assume that you are the social worker meeting with Brandon and you recorded this case.
3. provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis for Brandon. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may need clinical attention). Make sure you describe all of the DSM-5 criteria Brandon meets for the diagnosis you identified.
Identify and describe the assessment(s) you would use to validate his diagnosis, clarify missing information, or track his progress.
4. Clearly describe how you would explain the diagnosis to Brandon.
5. Explain how you would engage his in treatment
Identifying potential cultural considerations related to substance use.
6.Describe your initial recommendations for his treatment and explain why you would recommend MAT or ABT.
7. Identify specific resources to which you would refer his and explain for each resource why you would recommend it based on his diagnosis and other identity characteristics (e.g., age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, class, ethnicity, religion, etc.).
8. Thoroughly support each of your explanations with social work concepts, theory, and principles from the assigned learning materials and from the scholarly articles you selected.
9. Document your references and cite them throughout your post following APA guidelines.
10. Initial post provides an accurate diagnosis for the case. Diagnosis is correctly written. Post accurately identifies diagnostic criteria used and does an exemplary job connecting diagnostic criteria to specific examples in the case study.
11. Discussion posting demonstrates an excellent understanding of all of the concepts and key points presented in the text(s) and Learning Resources. Posting provides significant detail including multiple relevant examples, evidence from the readings and other scholarly sources, and discerning ideas. Posts demonstrate exemplary critical thought.
12. Postings are well organized, use scholarly tone, contain original writing and proper paraphrasing, follow APA style, contain very few or no writing and/or spelling errors, and are fully consistent with graduate-level writing style
1. Morrison, J. (2014). Diagnosis made easier (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
Chapter 15, “Diagnosing Substance Misuse and Other Addictions” (pp. 238–250)
2. American Psychiatric Association. (2013q). Substance related and addictive disorders. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: Author. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm16
3. Gowin, J. L., Sloan, M. E., Stangl, B. L., Vatsalya, V., & Ramchandani, V. A. (2017). Vulnerability for alcohol use disorder and rate of alcohol consumption. American Journal of Psychiatry, 174(11), 1094–1101. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.16101180
4. Reus, V. I., Fochtmann, L. J., Bukstein, O., Eyler, A. E., Hilty, D. M., Horvitz-Lennon, M., … Hong, S.-H. (2018). The American Psychiatric Association practice guideline for the pharmacological treatment of patients with alcohol use disorder. American Journal of Psychiatry, 175(1), 86–90. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.1750101
5. Stock, A.-K. (2017). Barking up the wrong tree: Why and how we may need to revise alcohol addiction therapy. Frontiers in P
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies